domingo, 10 de maio de 2009

O Verão do

E depois há aquelas canções que ouvimos muito há muito tempo e que só voltamos a ouvir nas festas de casamento (faz muita falta uma distinção portuguesa entre «marriage» e «wedding»). Summer of '69, do simpático mas desinspirado Bryan Adams, é uma delas e vai assim:

I got my first real six-string
Bought it at the five-and-dime
Played it till my fingers bled
It was the summer of '69

Me and some guys from school
Had a band and we tried real hard
Jimmy quit and Jody got married
I shoulda known we'd never get far

Oh when I look back now
That summer seemed to last forever
And if I had the choice
Ya - I'd always wanna be there
Those were the best days of my life

Ain't no use in complainin'
When you got a job to do
Spent my evenin's down at the drive-in
And that's when I met you

Standin' on your mama's porch
You told me that you'd wait forever
Oh and when you held my hand
I knew that it was now or never
Those were the best days of my life

Back in the summer of '69

Man we were killin' time
We were young and restless
We needed to unwind
I guess nothin' can last forever - forever, no

And now the times are changin'
Look at everything that's come and gone
Sometimes when I play that old six-string
I think about ya wonder what went wrong

Standin' on your mama's porch
You told me it would last forever
Oh the way you held my hand
I knew that it was now or never
Those were the best days of my life

Os sucessos comerciais nunca são misteriosos. Summer of '69 é um dos temas mais lucrativos da história da música pop porque todos nós passámos por um Verão de 69 e sabemos que fomos felizes no Verão de 69 e que é triste revisitar o Verão de 69. A chave da canção está nos versos tristes que olham com alguma condescendência para o compromisso emocional que foi feito naquela adolescência tardia cuja ingenuidade permitia sonhar com o prolongamento eterno daquela irresponsabilidade inocente. Inevitavelmente, Adams interroga-se sobre o que correu mal:

Sometimes when I play that old six-string
I think about ya wonder what went wrong

Nada correu mal, Bryan, foi só a idade adulta. Tu cresceste, nós crescemos, e se tudo correu bem durante o processo olharemos sempre para trás pensando no que correu mal, porque aqueles terão que ter sido os melhores dias da nossa vida. Bryan Adams escreveu uma carta de amor à sua adolescência e nós gostámos e levámo-lo em ombros. Mas depois veio o insucesso e a amargura. Bryan Adams passou da idade adulta à meia-idade e começou a dar coices ao mundo. Em 2008, ele interpretou assim o seu hit de 1984:

«I think 'Summer of '69' - i think it's timeless because it's about making love in the summertime. There is a slight misconception it's about a year, but it's not. '69' has nothing to do about a year, it has to do with a sexual position.

Out of all the people who hear that song, how many do you think realize that as they listen to it?

I don't know. At the end of the song the lyric says that it's me and my baby in a 69. You'd have to be pretty thick in the ears if you couldn't get that lyric.»

Yeah, right, ninguém cai nessa, ó trapaceiro. Mas há que admirar essa fabulosa metamorfose que é transformar o Verão de 69 no Verão do 69.